Monday, August 2, 2010

I'm a Decorator

I am NOT good at decorating. It has taken me a year and a half to get our living room into a configuration that's both attractive and functional. The walls are still bare. People give me ideas constantly, but they all seem so monumental that I just anxiety and take a nap.
So while I spent an entire afternoon on the internet trying to decide how to decorate Abe's room with more than just a glider and a crib (and subsequently rearranged his clothing for the 823rd time), I came upon some very cool vinyl stickers on Etsy.com. Of course, I bookmarked them and then took a nap because it was too overwhelming to commit to buying them. But when my husband saw them, he immediately picked a few that he thought would look nice in our bedroom and Abe's room. He's more of a do-er. I'm more of a list-maker and organizer. And napper. (Have I mentioned naps?)

We first got these big beautiful birch trees with sweet little brown birds for our bedroom. I think it helps to complete the West Elm look we've been going for.

Don't let the simplicity fool you. It took us about 4 hours to get them onto the wall. First I cut them out, then my husband taped them up, and then he painstakingly smoothed every inch of them onto the wall once section at a time (ensuring that each section lined up perfectly so each one looked like a single tree). If left to do this on my own, I ABSOLUTELY would have been covered in wrinkled, torn vinyl birch tree stickers and sobbing within 45 minutes.

I added the brown birds, which was easy enough because they were each one sticker. It's probably best you don't mention to my doctor or mother that I climbed my 8-months-pregnant-self to the top of a ladder to do it. It'll be our little secret.





Once I did the birds around the trees, I decided to tackle the wall above the changing table in our room. The dresser is my husband's maternal grandmother's. After she passed away, she left many beautiful old pieces of furniture in a storage unit and we snatched this one up. Such character. Neat that her great grandson will be changed on her dresser. :)
Anyway, the birds add a tad of whimsy and remind both my husband and I of one our of favorite books, Jonathan Livingston Seagull.








We added an owl above the bed in Abe's room because it's freaking adorable, and because it came free with the birch trees.














My friend Tamara made these AMAZING letters by HAND for Abe.
We hung those above his crib and finally agreed upon a place for the hippo and viola! Abe has a few decorations! I'm a decorator! Kind of!

3 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I love decorating with Vinyl Wall Art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute!! love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And link to the stickers, please! Those are just awesome!

    ReplyDelete