Monday, March 22, 2010

Members Only


Fourteen weeks and it’s just like they say: “You’ll start showing at 14 weeks.” In the weeks prior to the big 1-4, my pants were tight, I was using a Belly Band, and I felt like a whale. But not until my fourteenth week did OTHER people start noticing. Suddenly people were patting and rubbing my belly. And I honestly have to say that it didn’t really bother me. It’s the one time in my life that touching my fat belly doesn’t make me feel fat.
One day, walking through the grocery store with David, I suddenly thought of something else I wanted and David jaunted off to find it. While I looked through the millions of different kinds of soup, I overheard a conversation between a mom and her daughter.
“Mom, are you going to buy that here?”
“Yeah, it’s a few aisles down.”
“Well, you know, I’ll bet if you go to WalMart you could get it cheaper than here.”
I chuckled out loud, thinking how cute it was that her daughter was so cost-conscious. I guess I chuckled out louder than I thought, because the mom laughed and put her hand on my shoulder as she walked by. I turned around and smiled at her. She stopped and said, “You know what? You’re right to acknowledge that with a chuckle! My kids pays attention to prices and that is pretty cool! High-five!” She high-fived her daughter. I smiled, thinking about how cool that moment must have been for that mom. And then, she dropped the bomb. “I’m so glad you were here to hear that. I love that I shared that with a fellow mom!”
Fellow mom? Holy crap, I’m a fellow mom! Did anyone hear that? And that mom can tell I’m a fellow mom! That was a moment I will never forget. Week 14 and it looks like I might just have joined the club. 

1 comment:

  1. That was an awesome story, Erin! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete