Thursday, July 22, 2010

Everyday Eggs

After meeting with a dietician a few weeks ago, I quickly learned that endocrinologists know NOTHING about eating. As it turns out, gestational diabetes should be treated with a very specific diet including certain carbohydrates at certain times of day. The placenta, that big sponge in my uterus responsible for feeding Abe everything I eat, apparently has something against insulin. It sends all kinds of hormones picketing throughout my body with signs reading, stop answering the door ANY time insulin knocks! They even shout it. "We are here to shout it out, close your doors - keep insulin out!" I guess cells are really gullible because they all believe the picketers and lock up tight. However, as the day wears on, the cells eventually have to open their doors a little bit. I mean, come on, it's the dead of summer. They need some air circulating in there. Not to mention they probably start to feel a bit of cabin fever. So sometime after about 2pm (time of day is different for all women, for me it's 2), my body suddenly starts processing sugar correctly again. This completely explains why my blood sugar shot up the moment I had a piece of toast with peanut butter in the morning, but remained a beautiful 115 every night after a huge, carb-loaded meal and chocolately dessert.
So for the past 2 weeks, I have had almost no sugar/carbohydrates before 12pm. This leaves my morning options very limited, unless I start eating sausage and bacon everyday (which I can't knowingly do). A typical breakfast consists of an egg, a piece of canadian bacon, 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese, and 3 cherries. No pancakes, no jelly toast, no cereal. It kind of makes getting out of bed in the morning akin to eating big, prickly bugs.   I desperately miss oatmeal. I long for a sliced banana. Yogurt and granola, we will meet again one day. But, it's all worth it if it keeps Abe healthy and growing at a reasonable rate. If anyone has good protein-rich breakfast suggestions, pass them along. Even the eggs are getting bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment